According to the health experts, the bone marrow is termed to be a spongy tissue present within the bones. They help to create the young blood cells or stem cells. Patients suffering from Thalasemmia or Leukemia will require bone marrow transplant. However, there are many who would like to know about pediatric bone marrow transplantation procedure. It is a procedure conducted on children. The objective of this transplantation procedure is to have the diseased and damaged bone marrow to be replaced with healthy type.
Bone marrow transplant type conducted in children
Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant treatment India is quite similar to that of adults and so are the types found. They include Allogeneic and Autologous bone marrow type of transplant along with umbilical cord blood transplantation.
Are there involved risks?
Bone marrow transplant in children might come with some risks, with few being life threatening also. The different risks present could be related to the following:
- Bone marrow transplant type
- Disease type affected in the child
- Types of medicines used prior to the transplant procedure
- Child’s age
- Tissue difference which is matched between donor and the child.
Some possible complications
Various types of complications might arise with pediatric bone marrow transplantation procedure. They are as follows:
- Infections: This can be caused by severe suppression of bone marrow. This situation is characterized by low creation of blood cells within the bone marrow. Treatment is possible with proper and timely medicines.
- Thrombocytopenia and Anemia: Anemia is regarded to be low red blood cell level, while thrombocytopenia is more about low number of platelets. Both the conditions are fatal and children suffering from such ailments are to undergo several blood transfusion procedures.
- Breathing problems: Serious breathing problems may be faced by the child, which can be the cause of fluid overload, lung infection, airway inflammation or host vs. graft disease. The child is required to be provided with supplement oxygen until improvement of the condition.
- Pain: Extreme pain may be experienced by the child due to gastro intestinal irritation or mouth sores. This could probably due to chemotherapy. However, the problem can be treated easily with good mouth care and pain killers.
- Fluid overload: It can take place if kidney is not in a position to cope with given fluid in large amount. The child will be required to be weighed often, have to undergo series of blood and urine tests. Medicines will be offered to help the kidney to cope with excess given fluid.
- Graft failure: The grafts are transplanted stem cells. A situation could possibly arise, where stem cells are not able to grow properly. Using another bone marrow transplantation procedure, this issue can be treated.
- Organ damage: Chances of long term as well as short term heart and liver damage does exist. Fluid overload, chemotherapy or graft vs. host disease could probably be the reason. Organ failure will be taken care of by checking the child’s blood.
Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant treatment India is quite successful.